Despite the shorter winter days, our schedules do not slow down. We tend to seek out hardy, quick to prepare meals. Making a pot of soup is a perfect solution for a healthy, hot choice as it’s often called a meal in a bowl. There are dozens of different healthy soups that you can make; here are a few:
- Tomato Soup: A homemade soup is fresher and more nutritious than from artificial powdered soups and tinned soups. Tomato soup provides lots of fiber and is also a source of vitamin C.
- Gazpacho: Native to Spain, it’s an extension to the regular tomato soup. It is usually made with tomatoes, bread crumbs, spring onions, and other vegetables. It is a rich source of vitamin C.
- Lentils: Soups from lentils are very simple to make and are a good option for vegetarians. Lentil soups provide lots of protein, iron, and fiber.
- Chicken Soup: Chicken soup and broth have been used since ancient times. Originally from China, chicken soup is said to help clear a running nose. It contains proteins and also is a source of vitamin B.
- Minestrone: This soup comes from Italy and is made with lots of fresh vegetables. It is usually served with pasta or rice. It provides protein, fiber, and vitamin C.